How to sync KeePassium with OneDrive
- Install OneDrive app and login into your account
- Open KeePassium, tap the top-right
+ button, then
- Select “OneDrive” in the Locations list (if you don’t see it in the list, make OneDrive visible)
- Select your database file
- That’s it!
You don’t have permission to save the file
In February 2021, Microsoft switched OneDrive’s integration with the system to read-only mode. Temporarily, they say. In the meanwhile, KeePassium cannot save changes to OneDrive. As a workaround, you can download the database as a local file and export changes manually, as described here.
OneDrive is restricted by corporate IT policies
This is the root cause for most of OneDrive-related issues. It applies when you have the Microsoft Intune app installed, or a OneDrive for Business account added to your OneDrive app. (Even if the database itself is stored in a personal OneDrive account.)
Corporate restrictions apply to the whole OneDrive app. So if you have both a business and a personal OneDrive account, they both will be affected by the corporate limitations.
There are three possible workarounds:
- Ask your IT department to whitelist KeePassium for accessing files in OneDrive.
- Connect to your OneDrive account via third-party apps like Boxcryptor (free), FE FileExplorer Pro (paid) or FileBroswer (paid). They won’t be affected by the restrictions set for the OneDrive app. Installing them, however, might be against the corporate policies as well.
- Move your database to another cloud, such as iCloud Drive, Dropbox, or any other supported sync location.
OneDrive is not listed as a storage location
There are two possibilities:
- It might be hidden. Press the More
... button in the file selection dialog, then
Edit, and make sure that OneDrive is turned on.
- If OneDrive is still missing from the list above, the OneDrive app might be restricted by your company’s IT policies.
Cannot select file in OneDrive
- OneDrive folder shows “Content not available” (“Inhalt nicht verfügbar”)
- Reinstall OneDrive app, then re-add your databases to KeePassium.
- When you select a file, it seems to disappear
- When you try to add a database from OneDrive, the file seems to disappear when you tap it. No worries, the database is still there — but your corporate IT policy does not allow accessing it from other apps, such as KeePassium. See above for possible solutions.
- When you select a file, nothing happens
- When you try to add a database from OneDrive, nothing happens when you select the file. The file selection dialog simply remains on the screen. This is also caused by the corporate restrictions on OneDrive app.
Error: “The requested operation couldn’t be completed because the feature is not supported.”
This error can happen either due to corporate restrictions or due to a random system glitch. Try to restart your device and see if this resolves the issue.
Error: “Unrecognized database format [firstBytes: 004d534d414d4152]”
This is a clear sign of corporate IT restrictions. OneDrive app is not allowed to provide files to “unapproved” third-party apps like KeePassium. However, instead of returning a suitably worded error, OneDrive returns wrong file content. (There’s more detail on Reddit.)
OneDrive sync stopped working after iOS update
iOS updates seem to affect offline caching in OneDrive. As a result, a perfectly working KeePassium starts freezing when trying to access a database in OneDrive.
To fix this, open device settings, scroll down and select OneDrive. Then, toggle the “Clear Account Settings” switch. This will clear the cache and reset your installation of OneDrive. You will need to again to OneDrive again, and re-add your database to KeePassium.
If you encounter any other issues with OneDrive, please let us know.
SharePoint site not listed
If you see your SharePoint sites in the OneDrive app, but not in KeePassium’s file selection dialog — make sure to follow the specific SharePoint site. This will make the site available in all apps.
Last Updated: 2021-02-26