Free, Premium, Pro — what’s the difference?
The general idea of KeePassium is that you always have full access to your data, regardless of the version.
The free version has a few limitations:
- One database
- You can add only one database at a time. If you need to use another database, you’ll need to remove the previous one first.
- The database is usually locked
- Database Timeout can be set maximum to 1 hour. That is, if you don’t use the app for 1 hour, you will need to enter the full master password again.
- No YubiKey challenge-response support
- You can unlock your database with a master password and/or a key file. YubiKey support is reserved for professional use and is available in paid versions.
- Attachment preview limited
- If your database contains attached files, you can view them directly in KeePassium — without leaving traces in other apps. However, if you use KeePassium long and often, this feature will be blocked. But you can always export attachments and view them in other apps.
These limitations are intended to be almost invisible for casual users. Beginners will only need a single database anyway, and will have no problem entering the master password once in a while.
For expert users, however, entering a long passphrase several times a day will soon become inefficient. Upgrading the the paid version will enable you to keep the database open longer, and thus save you time and efforts.
Paid version — Premium and Pro
The paid version removes the limitations of the free app: you can add multiple databases, quickly switch between them, and keep them open as long as you like.
KeePassium has several paid options. Functionally, they are exactly the same. The difference is whether this is a single or repeating payment, and whether the license covers only you or your family members, too.
- Monthly and Yearly Premium subscriptions offer premium benefits for lower, but repeating payments. Yes, this might feel like “renting” the app, but repeating payments are necessary to keep the app maintained and supported in the future. (Arguably, the lack of such a long-term financial plan has ultimately destroyed MiniKeePass…)
- Premium Keeper is a personal perpetual license. It is priced higher than most of App Store apps, because this is a single payment that buys you a lifetime maintenance and updates. (There will be no KeePassium 2, 3, 4… released every couple of years — this would have been unfair to the existing customers.)
- KeePassium Pro is a separate paid app. Unlike the previous option, KeePassium Pro can be used with the App Store Family Sharing program. That is, family members linked to your Apple ID account will be able to download the app for free. (With Premium Keeper, everyone would need a separate purchase.)
If you are just starting and not sure if KeePass/KeePassium works for you — start with the free version.
If you like KeePassium and want to keep it fresh and shiny a decade from now — choose the subscription.
If you don’t accept subscriptions under any sauce — choose Premium Keeper.
If you want to get KeePassium for the whole family — buy KeePassium Pro.
Last Updated: 2020-04-07